quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1970 Mouton Rothschild

Change of plans.

1992 Dominus Estate
1992 Dunn Vineyards Petite Sirah Howell Mountain

I wouldn't wait too long with that Mouton. I'm sure you'll enjoy the two 1992s. The 1992 Dominus is the best Dominus I've ever tasted. I hope you'll post notes.

Ended up opening all three.

The Mouton's cork was pure sponge that disintegrated as we were removing it. It took a fair bit of work to get it out, but we (to be fair - not me) did so without getting any remnants in the bottle. The wine itself was much better than anyone expected, and got even better over the 2 hours that we drank it. Without question it showed as a well-aged example of Bordeaux with plenty of tertiary notes, but there was plenty of fruit, excellent acidity and good weight. A real treat.

The 92 Dunn Petite Sirah HM initially had a funky nose, but the palate was superb: refined, restrained, deep and complex. I wouldn't have guessed Petite Sirah, but a very good right bank Bordeaux. I had three of these and this was the last one. I also have the 1993. A terrific wine, if you can find it.

I've opened quite a few 1992 Dominus and they've all been fantastic, but this one was relatively (and oddly) green and thin. Still enjoyable, but not close to the quality level I'm used to. This bottle was from a different source than all my other bottles, though. I have 5 more from the original source, and I'm confident they'll show well.