Reply to "What are you Smoking (BBQ)?"

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Not sure I understand the question. The pellets are wood. Smoke rings are created by the meat absorbing the nitrogen dioxide produced from burning wood or charcoal.

I understand the pellets are wood. But, isn't it compressed wood? If so, what is the binding agent? And do you think that material inhibits the smoke ring. My understanding is that if you are BBQing, you want the lower temperatures anyway.

DD -- reading backwards here so someone may have already answered this

You get every bit of smoke-ring with pellets as with hard wood briquettes and wood chunks. I've done side by side comparisons of the BGE and my pellet grill multiple times (once with Snipes present). And, despite nay-sayers, I have found that the pellet grills best the BGE and other smokers in the following ways:
1) Brainlessly easy to use (that said, you do lose the "craft" and hands on nature of smoking if you have the time and interest to do that)
2) Amazingly consistent, set and forget results
3) Amazingly similar end-result to a more traditional smoker. The one thing my wife has noticed is that the pellet-smoked meats don't seem to taste as smokey as their BGE counter-parts and she likes this quality of the pellet grills. Of course, level of smoke on a BGE is 100% depending on the type of charcoal and wood chunks you use so it's hard to say any more about that

Now, just waiting for Shane to chime in and tell me he will smack down both my pellet smoker AND BGE with a Weber Smokey Mountain!