Reply to "What are you Smoking (BBQ)?"

quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
Are there any anti-pellet purists in the house? I have some friends who wouldn't be caught dead with pellets. I'd like to think I could tell the difference but I can't.

I've been doing this for long enough, that I can tell you what kind of wood you're using, based on the smell of the smoke alone. If you're talking about the difference between pellets and charcoal, sure, there is a difference in taste, with pellets giving a more "woodsy" flavor, even when I add wood chunks to the charcoal. Each method has its pros and cons, and flavor can be subjective. For instance, I'm making teriyaki chicken tonight, and I much prefer the char flavor that I get from charcoal on that.

I have grills and smokers that are charcoal, electric, and now pellet. (I've dumped the propane one, as no longer necessary. Its only pro was convenience, a quick heating time.) I've even built a temporary pit from cinder blocks and expanded steel to cook a whole pig. The only thing I don't have is a big, steel, stick burner. Not that I don't like the flavor they produce; there is a great bbq stand near me that makes some really good 'Que on theirs, but it looks like a civil war, iron-clad battleship. Even the smaller ones that look like mini attack submarines aren't really built for the average weekend hobbyist. They take a long time to build up heat, and need a large, steady supply of wood. Most people don't have the time for that kind of commitment.