Reply to "What are you Smoking (BBQ)?"

quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
do you guys wet brine or dry brine?

been hearing from folks there's really no point in wet brining anymore

I would say it depends on what you're brining, and your level of expertise, or comfort level. Also, are we talking about brining or curing? There is a big difference.
I wet brine chicken for a few hours, and turkeys up to 2 days. But if you're curing something like bacon, it can be done either wet or dry.
I've done both, but I still use a fool-proof wet cure for bacon and always get good results. I also like the texture of the finished product a little more, but many people swear by dry. However, imo, working with nitrites (cure) in dry brining is generally not for first timers. You need to pay close attention to weights and percentages. Too little, and your bacon can grow toxics and kill you. Too much, and you can die from nitrite poisoning. You need some experience to know what's "just right".

only talking about brining

been curing for the past 2 years and havne't killed myself yet ;-)

the idea is, wet brine you waste alot of water and salt and space in the fridge

dry brine you just slap it on, wrap in paper towel, let it come to room temp and put it down to the smoker.

was curious about people's experiences

I think i'm in agreement with galvezguy, I'm just not good at dry-brining salmon, comes out way too salty

looks like teh lowest published lethal dose of sodium nitrite is 71mg/kg . so fat person like me needs 6.4gs of immediate consumption before it'd kill me =)