Reply to "What are you Smoking (BBQ)?"

quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
I'm happy to give tips to anyone that wants them.

Tips, shmips. I say... BBQ and IPA offline at mneeleys. Wink

If an offline at Mneeley's with cooking tips included ever gets set up, I'll fly out with a bottle of Screaming Eagle (seriously). Would be a lot of fun and the hands-on learning would last a lifetime

That all said, agree with MNeeley's comments about brisket being different every time

This is actually the one cut of meat I've done pretty well with but it's incredibly effortful IMO. On my BGE, I have had whole packer briskets (about 11-13 pounds) go as little as 15 hours and as long as 26+. I rarely use the "Texas crutch" foil-method but that's only because I am still experimenting and trying to learn through doing. Greatest difficulty for me is trying to maintain a consistent temp (within ~25 or so degrees) on the BGE. I use the Maverick dual thermometer and have on probe in the brisket (shooting for anywhere between 190 - 203 depending on what I am going to do with the brisket) and one probe hovering ~1 inch above the grates. I have the grate thermometer alarm whenever the temp goes below 205 or above 250. The results in maintaining this stable temp are always great but makes for some horrible interruptions to my sleep . . . and my wife now makes me sleep in the basement if I am going to have the grill alarm going through the night!

PH

In! Cool