Reply to "What are you Smoking (BBQ)?"

quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
Yup. Now it's a brand new smoker so I'll allow that I haven't validated the internal temp to what the meter says, but my old one was the same way. I never got 2 hrs. per pound at 225. But DAMN was it good.

It's done when it's done. Although, that had to be a pretty serious stall. Did you foil?

I foiled it this time, but a bit different than the norm. I left it on until it passed the stall ~170 and then put the butt in a cheap aluminum throw away pan, added some liquid (dr. pepper) and foiled over the top. -Tried a new technique...meh.

I don't typically foil any of my bbq, but may have to rethink that if I start doing more butts again. I did it on my original charcoal smoker years ago, but at the time didn't quite grasp the nuances on why I was doing it and the juices were a PIA along with losing some of the crust.

i believe teh science behind it is that once you open it up from the foil, you once again will immediately go back into a stall and basically waste 2-3 hours until you get back over that hump again.