Reply to "What are you Smoking (BBQ)?"

quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by slipstitchpass:
quote:
Did a high heat brisket over oak on Memorial Day. Ran the smoker at about 360-375 rather than traditional 225-275. Delicious with some grilled bread, grilled corn and a watermelon and mint salad. First time I've done a high heat brisky, and I'm not sure if I'm sold on the method.

Very interesting. Never heard of this before. Any details you can provide or a link to a recipe? I had someone recently giving me a ton of shit about running at 250 for a brisket...i've found that to be my sweet spot.

Slip, if you want to run at 250 and that works for you, do it. I don't believe there is a single right (or wrong) way to smoke BBQ.

There is a whole segment of the BBQ world that does high heat brisket. Also, search the forums at VWB for numerous threads of people doing high heat.

I've done a lot of different high heat proteins, but there is just something I really enjoy about low and slow and dialing in the smoker where I want it to be.

TLV . . . agree there is no one right way. Did a 10-ish pound pastrami-d brisket a few weeks ago at 210 for about 16 hours.

One take on that temperature: why the heck do you want it to take so long for your meat to get done? My answer - don't know; just playing around with temps.

Actually have never tried the high temp before but going to check out the thread you posted. It seems a little counter-intuitive to do such a fatty piece of meat at such a high temp but interested in checking the comments out