Reply to "What are you listening to....... right now..........."

sunnylea57 posted:
winetarelli posted:
haggis posted:
winetarelli posted:

Beethoven’s 7th. The recording I’ve mentioned elsewhere Carlos Kleiber / Vienna Philharmonic. 

One of the greatest recordings of all time.  I went through a few vinyl copies back in the day.  CD not quite as good sound, but this is on the top of my all-time favorite list.

I never had the chance to hear it on vinyl.  But, we're in complete agreement.  My favorite recording of my favorite piece of music.

Right now, however:

The Band, The Band

I went on a Band kick recently after reading both Robbie Robertson's and Levon Helm's autobiographies in succession. I listened again to their full catalog in chronological order. 

Even though they weren't particularly well received at the time, I still love Stage Fright and Cahoots. And especially Northern Lights, Southern Cross which had classics like Ophelia, Acadian Driftwood and It Makes No Difference -- all prominently featured in The Last Waltz.

Northern Lights...is a great overlooked album. If you look for it you'll notice that its format (who sings what song, at what place and the type of song) closely resembles The Band. The contract fulfilling Moondog Matinee is an album I wish didn't exist. (Though here's an interesting fact: The Salvation Army type song Saved, which I think almost no one ever heard before, showed up on Raquel Welsh's first TV special.) And the less said about Islands the better. I'm also not a big fan of the live album with horn section. For their only live album (not including The Last Waltz which is not really a regular live album) I would have preferred just the group. I did once own their bootleg on the Rubber Ducky label but it was pretty much unlistenable.