Skip to main content

Reply to "Vintage Charts and Drinking Windows"

Count me among those who push back Suckling's drinking windows, especially for Brunello. Case in point: Check out the original reviews for the '97s. Not a single one indicates needing to hold the wine past 2007 (most say 'Best after 2004' or '2005'). Then look at the 10-year retro WS published in December of 2007. Most of reviews for the top Brunellos read, "Still needs time." I think he's incredibly adept at picking what will become a great wine, but for those of us who get precious few of those wines and can't afford to experiment with tasting some early, I think his windows need to be delayed. (In all fairness, however, I did notice that with the '01s he set several drinking windows later, with Madonna del Piano and Cerretalto both garnering a "Best after 2012.")

For PN, on the other hand, I've had more disappointments with wines that didn't hold on as they were predicted to, so I've got a different approach with them. For Pinot, I say "Drink on the way up, not the way down." For noble Italians, I say, "When in doubt, wait." CdP and James Molesworth? I don't have enough experience with either to have a firm opinion, so I keep checking back here to see what others are saying. Smile Hello, others?