Skip to main content

Reply to "Vaynerchuck or Parker?"

Sarbuze....let's revisit what you said:

quote:
I am a strong advocate of only buying wines that you have tried and know you will enjoy. But it's not easy, or possible to do this in many instances due to finances. For instance, I'm a big Brunello fan and love Valdicava from the few vintages I've had. When a chance to pick up some of the 2001 Riserva came up in August of last year, I jumped on it. I bought two bottles at $175 a pop and don't plan on opening them for a long time! I've done this with a few 2005 Bordeaux's as well...I can only afford so much and would rather enjoy it in a few years when it matures. The Bordeaux I did purchase, by the way, were based on reviews by all available sources, as well as reading forums such as these (one specifically was based on a show by Gary V on the 2005 Secret de Cardinale)."

1. What you should have said is you're a strong advocate of buying PRODUCERS you have tried. That's different than "wines you have tried". And, again, my point is that is a potentially big waste. Every vintage is different. Take California and Phelps Insignia. Of any region, CA's weather varies the least. Now take 3 vintages in a row. '97, '98, '99. All VERY different, and as such VERY different Insignias. And, all priced at over $100. To simply buy any of these because you liked the '92, and '94 is no guarantee you'll like any of the latter. And, as I see it, if your finances are "limited" you are potentially allocating money in the wrong place unknowingly.

2. I'm not assuming you can barely afford anything....you said you can "only afford so much" and "it's not easy or possible in many instances due to finances".

3. Your specific example here with the Valdicava is an exception to the rule. #1...you got them at a very good price, and I too would jump at an opportunity like this regardless of tasting first. Where we differ is that I also look at the investment potential. If those bottles are now worth double...do I really want to hold on to them. Suckling might think it's a 100 pt'er, but I might not. So I'll try one and see. Or, simply think twice if I really want to ever open a $400 Brunello! There's some great wine out there for that kind of money.

With the kind of money being tossed around in wine now, If I'm cellaring to drink, I better be sure it's a wine I'll like. If others are comfortable investing this kind of change and keeping their fingers crossed that it will deliver, that's up to them. Hopefully money doesn't matter.