Skip to main content

Reply to "Vaynerchuck or Parker?"

I’ll preface this by stating that I don't watch WLTV all that often (maybe 2x per month) and I have only bought wine from WL several times in the past.

I’ve tried several of Gary's recs in the past and have not been disappointed. I've also tasted some recs of his that I have not liked but Gary's mantra is to "trust your palate." I'm sure he really doesn't care if not everybody agrees with him. Additionally, I have found his palate to be a bit similar to my own in that he does not favor wines that are fake, heavily extracted, heavily manipulated, heavily oaked, etc. Several here have been a bit down on Gary for his unusual descriptors and verbiage on his show. I agree that he might seem a bit over-the-top and sophomoric at times but, in general, he knows what he is talking about. Would people really want to listen and watch a video blog in which the people talk in a monotone voice all of the time and do not have a sense of humor? Let's face it; a portion of what Gary does is for entertainment purposes. Sure he does want to promote the store and sell wine but why shouldn’t he? Wine Library is paying for the production of this show and they are not going to promote Canal's over in Pennsauken.

With all of this being said, I am not under the delusion that Gary is a wine critic. Personally, I will trust a recomendation from Tanzer and Molesworth before one from Gary. However, if Gary can accomplish the task of getting people to open their eyes and expand their horizons to trying new wines, he is doing a good job with his show. Additionally, he is accomplishing what a lot of advertising for other businesses is failing to with that being increasing brand awareness for WL AND serving as an educator. Back to the original question – I've probably tasted a higher percentage of wines with high scores from Parker that I thought weren't that good as opposed to wines recommended by Gary.