great thread. so tough to nail down a top 5. my highlights would probably be, in no particular order:
- Radiohead - Kid A/Amnesiac tour @ Molson Park starting to play as the sun set then having a huge red harvest moon rise behind the stage with thom signing to it and johnny doing what he does on all sorts of homemade electronic equipment
- Beastie Boys & (supposed to be)A Tribe Called Quest @ Molson Park. Beasties were on the hello nasty tour and having seen them 4 times, this was the best. ATCQ never made across the border but Biz Markie was in town, gets up on the turntables and rips an old school set that got the beasties back out and ultimately biz records the infamous benny and jets cover where he knows maybe half the words.
- Roger Waters - went to both the wall & dark side of the moon tours about 5-10 years ago - amazing. more of a show than a concert but one i still think about regularly.
- Nas - 2014 - Time is Illmatic screening followed at the ex, followed by Nas performing illmatic cover to cover. He might have rhymed half the words on the album, crowd got the rest. That performance solidified the half-man half-amazing bit.
- The Roots - seen them play a few times now, but i think it was about 04/05 they played the docks, did about 40 min of their material, followed by almost two hours of improv - only to have black thought come out under a spotlight in the encore, drop to his knees and scream out "generals gatheres in their masses.." as the band broke into covering war pigs.
HM's to Gang Starr moment of truth tour @ guvernment; ATCQ reunion tour @ guvernment; John Hammond @ Hugh's Room; Herbie Hancock, late 90's @ roy thompson hall (he played a sea shell like a sax); arcade fire, neon bible tour at massey - i dont think they even used amps and they blew the lid off the place; Death From Above 1979 Boxing day show at Danforth music hall - unbelievable energy & sound from those two dudes.