Reply to "Top 5 (or so) concerts you attended"

Tried to put together a list of some of the more memorable shows. Im sure I missed many and some bands Ive seen so many times its hard to pick a single show.

Little Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles and Jose Feliciano – mid/late 60’s at Camden County Music Fair a 1500 seat circus tent in my home town. My dad took me as he loved music and I was easy to drag along as a toddler. Sadly he skipped one of the last shows before they closed down the venue which was Cream

Diana Ross – dozens of times, many venues around the country and often in her seats. Just an amazing performer that owns the stage though time finally seems to catching up

Jackson Browne – Running on Empty Tour at Mann Music Center in Philly August 1978

Springsteen – 78 Darkness tour my favorite album and 5th row center. Still my favorite show among dozens including several surprise shows at bars in Jersey. My ticket was under $10. Honorable mentions to Opening Night of original River Tour in Ann Arbor with my parents and siblings as well as.

Nils Lofgren – before joining E Street Band at small clubs in Philly, his solo shows were something special and still are. He is a brilliant musician and even better singer/songwriter. He still tours solo at small venues. Don’t miss if you get the chance.

Eagles – Long Run Tour at Spectrum in Philly 11/79

The Clash at Bonds in NYC – say no more

The Who Farewell Tour 1982 at JFK Stadium in Philly. They went on to play 9 more farewell tours and Ive been to 5 or 6 of those also but you always remember your first LOL

Stevie Ray – Ripley Music Hall Philly 10/83. Mind blowing

REM – October 1983 at Rutgers University Busch Campus student center.

Smithereens – several times in fraternity basement parties and Court Tavern at Rutgers College in early 80s. A great bar band

X – anywhere they are playing. one of my favorite bands to see in bar

The Round Up - June 1981 the week after I finished high school they had a massive concert at JFK stadium with 38 Special, Molly Hatchet, Outlaws, Allmans, Charlie Daniels and Marshall Tucker. No security whatsoever in stifling heat and humidity. They sprayed the crowd down with firehoses through the event. They let a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds walk in with a 10 gallon Igloo cooler full of Screwdrivers among other things. A crazy all day party with people passing out left and right. Additional entertainment provided by motorcycle gangs pummeling people in the parking lot. The craziest concert situation Ive ever been a part of but an amazing concert.

Ronnie Lane Benefit with Jeff Beck , Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton backed by Ronnie Wood, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Kenny Jones and Joe Cocker among others at Madison Square Garden 1983

Lou Reed – 10/84 at Beacon Theatre with Robert Quine

The Band with Rick Danko, Richard Manuel, Garth Hudson and Levon Helm. 2/86 at Lone Star Café in NYC. We went to the later show (they played two that night). One of the last shows before Manuel killed himself a couple weeks later.

David Lee Roth – 10/86. His first solo tour post VH - Eat em and Smile put together a super group with Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan and Greg Bissonette. Just a killer band backing him every bit as good as the VH guys. One of my most memorable Rock n Roll experiences because I was in their dressing room when they came in just after the last encore. My GF and I hung out with DLR for a couple hours BSing after the show. He is a surprisingly smart, funny guy in person and a great story teller

Bon Jovi – Slippery When Wet tour – several nights but the best was playing to his hometown crowd on New Year’s Eve 12/31/86 at The Meadowlands.

Def Leppard – Hysteria Word Tour 1987 saw a few shows. First tour with Rick Allen playing drums after he lost one arm in car accident. Amazing

Stones – Two shows stand out. 1989 Opening night Steel Wheels tour at Veterans Stadium. Didn’t have a ticket and no friends wanted to go. Kinda broke but took subway myself to check out the scene. During warm up band Im holding a finger up and guy pulls up in limo. Just flew in from the UK on private jet and his GF bailed on him last minute. Friend of the band he gave me his extra, second row center. They played Shattered as the 3rd song and blew up the sound system which created a 30-minute delay. Didn’t play it again that tour. 50 & Counting Tour May 2013 in the pit at Honda in Anaheim. Guest appearance by Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler and they play better these days as many of the 70’s/early 80’s shows I saw they were falling down wasted.

Pearl Jam – many shows but favorite is still the first at Iguanas in TJ 1990. Crazy mosh pit and only 1000 capacity

Matthew Sweet – Girlfriend Tour with Richard Lloyd and Ivan Julian (filling in for Robert Quine) at Chestnut Cabaret in Philly 1991

U2- Favorite concerts were Zoo TV tour 10/92 at Spectrum in Philly. They did an arena tour before they hit all the stadiums. Again at LA Forum last May/June in Pit about 10 feet from The Edge (my preferred spot) once with my son and a few days later with my best friend

Pleasure Barons at Belly Up in 1993 featuring Country Dick Montana, Mojo Nixon and Dave Alvin. Just a drunken brawl onstage and unforgettable raucous fun.

Would love to see greenwine try to put together a list. His might make mine pale