Reply to "Top 5 (or so) concerts you attended"

Some great shows and memories in this thread. Love it!

I’ve seen many memorable shows since the 70s, but these are probably the five that had the most impact on me. I have ticket stubs from some of these shows. For the rest, I had to look up the dates.

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
February 13, 1977
Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto
The second half of the Born to Run tour. This part of the tour was called “The Lawsuit Drags On Tour”. Bruce wasn’t quite a household name yet, so this was in the concert bowl configuration with the stage at centre ice, facing sideways, and half the arena curtained off. Bought front row red seats at the box office the day of the show.

Heat Wave Festival
August 23, 1980
Mosport Park outside Toronto
Backstage passes for a legendary lineup of so-called new wave bands.
Teenage Head
BB Gabor
Holly and the Italians
Rockpile with Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe
The Rumour (post Graham Parker)
The B-52s
Talking Heads - their first show with the expanded lineup including Adrian Belew on guitar and Bernie Worrell on keys
The Pretenders
Elvis Costello & the Attractions
The Kings

The Rolling Stones
Opening act: Stevie Wonder
July 15, 1972
Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto
Exile on Main Street tour. I was 15 years old. Mind blown.

The Band, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Jesse Colin Young
September 2, 1974
Varsity Stadium, Toronto
One of my first dates with my girlfriend and now partner, Patricia.

The Rolling Stones
Opening act: New Barbarians (Keith, Stanley Clarke, Ian McLagan, Bobby Keys and Ziggy Modeliste)
Sunday April 22, 1979
Oshawa Civic Auditorium east of Toronto
The infamous CNIB concert for the blind. Keith was order by the judge to play this charity concert after he was busted for heroin possession while performing two surprise shows in Toronto at the El Mocambo (which my girlfriend Patricia attended, but that's another story). Patricia’s mother was legally blind so she was able to get two tickets to the show. The performance by the Stones was probably the worst I’ve heard (at one point Keith and Ron were about two beats ahead of Charlie and Bill, so Charlie just stopped drumming until he could figure out where they were in the song), but as an event it was one of the most memorable.

Honourable mentions:

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Sunday Nov 18, 1979
Seneca College gymnasium
About 200 kids sitting on the gym floor for Petty’s first Toronto concert just after the release of Damn the Torpedoes.

The Ramones
October 9, 1977
The Edge, Toronto
A tiny 50 seat pub near Ryerson Polytechnical, famous for hosting one of the first Toronto concerts by The Police.

Bill Evans & Robben Ford
Perhaps 2010?
Ronnie Scott’s, London
I’ve always wanted to see a show at Ronnie Scott’s, so we dropped by on our first day in town to see who was playing. Got dinner & show tickets for this and sat about 10 ft. from the stage. Brilliant performances from Bill on sax and Robben on guitar.

Supertramp
April 17, 1975
Massey Hall
Crime of the Century tour
Their first show in Toronto. They were virtually unknown south of the border but Crime was a big hit in Canada.

Billy Joel
November 20, 1974
Massey Hall
Streetlife Serenade tour
A sold out show, but he wasn’t yet a massive star. The previous Piano Man album only reached #27 on the US charts and #26 in Canada.