Reply to "Top 5 (or so) concerts you attended"

SARS Fest has to be up there. Amongst many others like The Guess Who, Rush, Blue Rodeo, Justin Timberlake etc. fantastic performances by The Flaming Lips and The Rolling Stones but the concert was totally dominated by an epic AC/DC performance.

The Decemberists & Andrew Bird and the entire LA Philhamonic at the Hollywood Bowl. Maybe the best outdoor venue anywhere, Andrew Bird was spectacular and having the whole LA Phil backing a mostly hipster acoustic band was awesome.

Elbow at Danforth Music Hall. A year and a half removed from closing the London Olympics and a band that has sold out the 90,000 seat Wembley Stadium I got to see with about 300 other people.

Colin Hay at the Hugh’s Room. He can never fully get out from under the shadow of his Men At Work past but he’s phenomenal as an acoustic singer-songwriter. I didn’t actually know of his past association until the concert, just loved his acoustic work through things like the Garden State soundtrack. Small little venue, sitting at tables 10 feet away from a guy playing for you is always special.

One of those wild & crazy nights that you can (or should) only do when you’re unmarried and young and foolish. Half our (small) office drove down to New Haven Connecticut after lunch from work (from Toronto!) to party with one of the guy’s brothers (Ralph) who worked for JP Morgan. Go to a Blues bar and during the course of the night Keith Richards comes on to do part of a set. We closed the place down and somehow (and for some reason) rented a limo that took us into New York to some after-hours place Ralph knew until the sun came up. I burnt my hand from flaming shots pouring all over me, three of us slept with the Ralph’s kid’s nanny who somehow we had come out with us (and apparently Ralph’s wife promptly fired afterwards…). Still, I got to see Keith Richards in a tiny little bar. He wasn’t really fantastic, didn’t play much of anything I knew but it didn’t matter. I got to see Keith Richards play in a tiny little bar.