TNs: Offline with Fox, Joea and RonnieRoots: Shafer 1998 HSS and others...

Yesterday I had the pleasure of entertaining Fox, Joea and Ronnie & Lady Roots at my place in Amsterdam. Fox, it was great meeting you for the first time. KillerB, thanks for starting the tread that initiated this offline, and sorry you couldn’t make it in the end. I cooked us a nice meal (IMHO) to go with some of the wines: salmon on toast, peppersteak with Stilton and walnuts, chocolate mousse (a bit heavy) and home-made ice cream peaches and raisins pouched in PX.

We DID drink some nice wines, thank you for asking! I did not take notes, so this is from memory…

Quinta de Maroccos 2002 Branco (Douro, barrel sample) – I brought this back from our recent trip to Portugal. Unfortunately, corked!

Apostelhoeve 2001 Riesling (Limburg) – Dutch wine? You bet! Typical Riesling nose, petrol and minerals. A bit light bodied, but quite pleasant. For a Dutch wine, this is pretty good stuff.

Veuve Clicqout 1990 La Grande Dame (Champagne) – Yes, now we’re talking! Honey coloured, very yeasty nose. Bone dry. Very delicate bubbles. Long finish. Tasty indeed, and a nice pairing with the salmon and assorted goat milk cheeses.

Shafer 1998 Hillside Select CS (Napa) – When Fox pulled this one from his bag, I thought it was a magnum…a huge bottle for this huge wine. Decanted 2 hours in advance. Very dark purple, with a very powerful nose. Thick and rich, strong but supple tannins, and a great finish. Very approachable for such a young wine. It did need the decanting, though. The last drops were tasted some 4 hours after decanting, and were the smoothest. Great stuff, I’m glad I’ve had the change to taste this famous wine! Oh, and quite nice with the steak as well.

Cadence 2000 Ciel du Cheval (Washington, Walla Walla Valley?) – I never had a Washington wine before, so I’m very grateful to Fox for bringing this along. This wine is a Bordeaux blend of CS, Merlot and Cab Franc. Not decanted, but very approachable straight from the bottle. Very good stuff; even after the Shafer, this wine stood its ground. At appr. $20, this is a great QPR-wine.

Castello Banfi 1999 Summus (Sant’ Antimo) – I seem to recall quite a meaty nose, a rich body and a nice finish. This wine seemed to shut down after some time. Good stuff, however.

Quinta do Ventozelo 1999 Tinto Reserva (Douro) – A bit disjointed straight from the bottle, but some time in the decanter turned this into a good example of a Portuguese red blend. Need more time in the cellar, though.

Justin 2000 Isosceles (Paso Robles) – Great nose of ripe red berries and eucalyptus. Very smooth going down, a great glass of wine.

Vista Alegre 2000 Vintage Port (Douro) – Opened 5 hours in advanc, but not decanted. Huge nose, with a strong grape character. Very smooth, if slightly one-dimensional. A good example of VP for the short term, and very nice with the chocolate “ mousse”.

Inniskillin 2001 Vidal (Niagara) – A gift from bman (thanks again!). Sweet, with peach and honey. Could use some acidity to balance out the sweetness. Paired quite nicely with the PX-peach ice cream.

Toro Albala 2001 Don PX (Montilla – Moriles) – The Vidal was sweet, but it’s a dry white compared to this PX. I’ve already posted notes on this wine a couple of weeks ago.

We ended the evening with some Cuban cigars (Romeo y Juliet No. 2) and some more wine…nice. There are some leftovers, and I’ll post TNs on these wines with a bit more detail over the following days, just as soon as I’ve finished cleaning my glasses…
Original Post