TN: 5 Bert Simon Wines (mostly 2003)- MSR

This estate was pouring their wines at Vinexpo last week. After reading about the excellent 2003 vintage in the Saar region of Germany that year, I was anxious to try some wines from the region. This is an estate which I was not very familiar with. I will certainly keep an eye out for them in the future.

This estate is located in the middle of the Saar region. They own 19 hectares in the W├╝rtzberg and Herrenberg vineyards. Both excellent sites. The only wines I saw at Vinexpo were from the Herrenberg vineyard. Both vineyards are on steep, slatey hills. Bert Simon (pronounced sea-moan) purchased these properties in 1968 and has a reputation as a great cellar master.

Here are my notes:

2003 Bert Simon Riesling Serriger Herrenberg Auslese- Minerally nose with white floral notes. A very lithe wine for being of Auslese ripeness. Notes of pear and citrus. Really pure flavors bursting though. Give this 10+ years to really shine. 93 points.

2003 Bert Simon Muller Thurgau Serriger Herrenberg Beerenauslese- Not as crisp nor the cutting acidity you would find in a Riesling. However, this had wonderful ripe fruit with a lush texture. Definite botrytis here. 90-92 points.

1999 Bert Simon Riesling Serriger Herrenberg Beerenauslese- Much more aromatic then the Muller Thurgau. Notes of candied apple, lemon merangue and pear nectar. Sweet but balanced by good acidity. 92+ points.

2003 Bert Simon Riesling Serriger Herrenberg Beerenauslese- Like the 2 previous BA's, this will only improve the longer you hold it. Say 15-20+ years. Simon turns it up a notch here. What a juicy, succulent wine. Picked at 160 Oechsle. Concentrated and viscuous with notes of apricot and burnt pear. Just super. 94+ points.

I wish I had remembered to go back and try some of his dry wines the next day.

VM
Original Post