Skip to main content

TN: 2003 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir

2003 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Black Hole Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Parrett Mountain (9/1/2005)
This is the 3rd vintage from this estate. I had the pleasure of trying it at the Chicago offline dinner last Friday at the Speakeasy Supper Club in Chicago. Tom Mortimer, the owner of this estate came in for this dinner and brought both the 2002 and 2003 with him. The 2002 that he poured was my favorite Pinot Noir of the weekend. The grapes for this wine come from young 5 year old vines. In 2003 this estate had 3 new winemakers (Tannahill, Nedry and Bergstrom). I would be interested to know which of these winemakers made the wine we tried or if they all had a hand in this bottle.

Whereas the 2002 was Burgundian in style, the 2003 was much riper and more opulent. Bordering more on a California Pinot is style. The tannins were ripe at present and in need of some taming with age. Notes of red and black fruit with some stoney notes on the finish. The wine had a nice underlying minerality which was evident despite a very solid core of fruit upfront. I preferred the 2002 but this was still excellent. 91-92 points.

Thanks Tom. It was good to see you again and to meet your wife for the first time. Always a pleasure to drink your wine.

VM
Last edited {1}
Original Post