Reply to "TN: 2000 Marcel Lapierre Beaujolais Morgan"

My wife made some spicy beef stir fry last evening and wanted a red wine. After consulting a wine and food pairing guide I opened this bottle. This was the 3rd time I have tried this wine and after opening this bottle I have 1 left.

R2-D2 stopped over so that his puppy and our new puppy could play (sometimes fight) and stayed for dinner. I had him try this wine blind with dinner and asked him to guess the varietal (all he knew was that it was a Burgundy shaped bottle). He did not know the grape, country, age or anything else. I thought a little practice for the upcoming Chicago Wine Mafia vs. Ohio River Vino's challenge was in order. Congratulations are in order because he correctly guessed that this was a Beaujolais on his first attempt. His guess was not as easy as it seems because this wine has undergone an interesting change since the last time I tried it.

This wine continues to impress. Gone is much of the fruity character this wine once showed. It has become more earthy and Burgundian. It displays notes of chocolate and a nuttiness. Still elegant and exceedingly smooth. This change has only enhanced my opinion that this is the best Beaujolais I have ever had. A nice match with the stir fry also. Still 91 points.

VM