TN: 2000 Marcel Lapierre Beaujolais Morgan

After our Aussie/New Zealand tasting last Friday, Otis got permission to go out to dinner with my wife and I so we went back to my house before heading to the restaurant. I opened this bottle while we were waiting since Otis said he had never had a top Cru Beaujolais. This was the second time I have had this wine. The first time was a year ago and I gave it a 92 at the time. WS and WA both gave this 90 points.

I'm not sure this wine shown as well as it could because we drank it right after some heavy Aussie Shiraz and Cabs (including the Penfolds 707). If you are not familiar with the style the wine can come off thin and one dimensional so I'm not quite sure what Otis thought. We shall see soon.

This producer is one of the Gang of Four producers in Beaujolais from the Morgan Appellation whose role model is Jules Chauvet. Their vineyards are organically grown, planted with old vines and held to low yields. Lapierre's winemaking is minimalist, with no de-gassing, fining, chemicals or filtering prior to bottling. His wines are a throwback to what wines tasted like 100 years ago.

The wine was a rose red color. Clear with no sediment. Aromas of vanilla and raspberry. The first sip revealed a smooth silky wine with lush, ripe fruit. Mostly plum and black cherry but it had an earthiness also. Fruity and refreshing but this is not your typical Beaujolais. The big difference for me was a purity of flavor. It was delicate and at the same time well rounded. 91 points.

VM
Original Post