Reply to "Temecula Wines"

My folks are in town, and since the weather was a bit chilly (mid 60s) so we bailed on the pool day and did some tastings in Temecula.  I had pretty low expectations, and for good reason, the wines were all over the place on several levels.  But the weather was beautiful, the scenery very nice and we drank plonk in nice settings.  

First stop was Vindemia, a decent SB and voigner and a poor bdx blend and a drinkable syrah.  All over priced...the list was $98 for the bdx and something I’d expect was poured out of a jug if served blind.  

Peltzer close by was maybe a half step up...I stayed with the SB (ok), voigner (thin, acidic, watery), again a decent Syrah, and a Sangiovese and a Tempranillo that we’re both thin and acidic.

last stop, Callaway.  The bartenderess bro dealed us on the tastings, about 10 non-descript, forgettable wines.  She did a field blend reserve cab/Syrah that was fun and the NV Bella Blanc sparkler was the best of the lot by miles...ironically listed as produced and bottled in Lodi.

Overall, a fun time, but yes, as others have noted it is a touristic experience, and wine production seems is only part of the experience.  I would venture less than 50% of the fruit is actually sourced in Temecula, so the heat/dryness of the area doesn’t tell the whole story of the mediocrity of the wines.  Oh well, it made for a fun day out.