Reply to "Temecula Wines"

Temecula is about 60 miles north of San Diego, 90 miles south of LA, and 30 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean. Daytime temps can exceed 100 during the summer and drop substatially in the evenings. Most of the area was cattle land until the 70s and early 80s. Interstate construction connected San Diego to LA and Temecula’s vicinity to both of those plus Orange County and Palm Springs caused an explosion in population (5k to 120k). We (and others we know) moved here because it was affordable housing compared to San Diego (250-500k less). People from Orange County move here to cash out and live more affordable. So, almost no one from Temecula is really from Temecula. The wineries did not (and for many still do not) have a good reputation because of the issues I noted earlier. My understanding is that the last five years have been a marked improvement in quality due to better sanitation, farming, winemaking and outside investment. I want to say there are over 40+ wineries so there is a lot of plonk out there. A lot.