Skip to main content

Reply to "tell me about brunello or barolo"

quote:
Originally posted by P Monty:
Barolo and barbaresco are wonderful wines (hence, my username). But they are not for everyone, and I'd say the majority of American wine drinkers don't really get it. These wines are more about texture, complexity, subtlety and food-friendliness than about wowing the taster with concentration and fruit. These wines really improve with a lot of age and/or air, change a great deal over many hours in the decanter, and are more of an intellectual/contemplative type of experience as compared to most other wines.

I don't mean that in some sort of right or wrong or superiority kind of way (I think it's totally fine that some people don't like these wines, everyone has different tastes), I'm just letting the poster know not to expect something that is going to necessarily wow his company when he opens it or stand out in some blind tasting lineup against a bunch of reds from Spain, Australia, California, etc.

When you get your first bottles to try, give them time in a decanter, and try them over many hours in a quiet time when you can give them some thought and attention. It's a great experience.

Sorry, P Monty. I don't buy that nebbiolo-based wines provide a more intellectual experience than other wines. Wine is wine. Either it appeals to our senses (i.e. we enjoy it when we look at it, smell it and taste it) or it doesn't.