Reply to "Tasting Across America: 2002 Marquis Philips Shiraz"

2002 Marquis Philips Sout Eastern Australia Shiraz

decanted about 10 hours, tasted in Riedel Vinum Syrah

-look: saturated blackish red
smell: I flashed this in the fridge to bring the temp down a bit to dull the alc. That worked marvelously until it warmed back up. So, yeah it certainly sports that 15.5 alc on the nose, and almost dominates at ambient temp.
Aside from that, huge fruit: blueberry, raspberry, fudge, cough syrup, and peppermint which could be related to the alc. There is some American oak but I don't find it out of proportion at all, however I detect an odd butter note, which could be a relic of this wine's youth (meaning a fermentation attribute not yet integrated).
-taste: sweet, huge fruit. A disjointed medley of alcohol, acidity, and tannins all gang up on the palate to cover the descriptors.

This is my second bottle. Didn't take notes on the first, two days ago. This is actually the first MP Shiraz of any type I've ever had. It REALLY needs some time, because it almost tastes like a sample from the press tub. Could develop into a hedonistic monster, and I hope so, as I've invested in four cases of this stuff. However, the Sarah's brings much more drinkability at this early point.

Rate: hedonistic B+, critical 88
however, this is really too early for me to nail this one down.

-Vitis Vinifera in Lodi

edit: a wine like this has a bit of an 'awe' factor in tasting it, but I can't help but think that some more barrel time would help smooth out its edges

Member #19
www.vinoconbrio.com

[This message was edited by VitisVinifera on Aug 17, 2003 at 02:13 AM.]