Reply to "Tasting Across America: 2002 Marquis Philips Shiraz"

Finally got this--and just in time for the TAA (I'm wondering if Geo t.'s going to give us a follow-up... Wink)

This is serious high octane, high alcohol juice. Aromas and flavors of blackberry jam, spice, caramel, chocolate, coffee and caramel. And lots of oak (american). Came into better balance and became less hot after being decanted for 4-6 hours--but still has a long way to go--probably 6-8 months before any substantial upgrade.

My jury is still out on this wine. I, like most others, rarely drink wines that are made in this style so it is tough to judge how this wine will evolve--I have purchased over a case of this shiraz (and almost 2 cases of Sarah's) so I am hopeful that the fruit will somehow overtake or balance-out the oak and alcohol. Only time will tell.

This is still a young, angry wine--so who knows. The wine has all the right stuff (perhaps too much?) and scores high for content but has a long way to go for balance. Currently, the wine drinks to the tune of 88-89 points but if things settle down and integrate, it could go 91-92 points.

"I've gotta be honest with you, guys. I need more cowbell."