Reply to "strip steak versus NY strip steak??"

quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Tex Landreth:
A well marbled, dry-aged strip steak is only topped by a rib cap, or possibly a Flannery hanger steak.

Bill-

This is thread drift, but how do you cook your hanger steak from Bryan? I haven't had one yet and saw a lot of positive comments (on eBob, before it went private Roll Eyes). Marinate? Not? Thanks in advance.

The de facto recipe for me and most of the crew in these parts, as well as on wineberserkers is as follows:

Hanger Steak
1/4 Cup Dark Korean Soy Sauce (Senpio Brand is what I use)
1/4 Cup Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
1/4 Cup EVOO
Sriracha Hot Sauce to Taste
Finely Ground Telicherry Pepper

Mix marinade in a gallon ZipLoc bag and toss in the steak. Remove as much air from bag as possible and marinate for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at room temperature. Take steak out of marinade and dry off as best possible with paper towels. Give the steak a quick brushing of EVOO or spray Pam.

Get your grilling device of choice up to it full setting. Sear the steak on side one for a couple of minutes, rotate ninety degrees and cook for two minutes more, flip and cook for two minutes then rotate 90 degrees and finish in two more minutes.

Timing is of course +/- depending on your rig and desired level of doneness, but I always shoot for the rare side of mediium-rare. Eight minutes total on a Weber Kettle using Mesquite Hardwood Charcoal is what works for me.