Skip to main content

Reply to "Stephen Strasburg being shut down"

quote:
I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

No one does. Strasburg's medical team has been admirably quiet during this fracas. Nats' management has made it clear, however, that the decisions regarding his rehab and innings limit were all medically driven. And most of them were made before he went under the knife. There was no possibility that they'd ask Stras, "How you feelin' big boy" and make a decision based his apparent health in September. With quotes like this from Dr. James Andrews, one of the pre-eminent TJ surgeons in the country:

I don’t think you can criticize that one bit, to be honest with you. If you look at the injury rates on re-dos for Tommy Johns, the highest injury rates they have is during the second year, when they’re coming back and really back up at top form and throwing and getting fatigued.

it's hard for anyone without first-hand knowledge of the situation to have a valid opinion on the medical components of the decision.

The additional fact that Strasburg's surgeon, Lewis Yokum, is in practice with the guy who invented the surgery - leaves little doubt in my mind that the medical support in this case is competent to say the least.

PH