Reply to "Stars, Planets, Constellations and such...."

Out in the desert saw about 40 and hour (this includes many fast and faint object) including two of the most unique meteors I've ever seen. The first, though short, was bright and as it traveled a short distance it made a motion like a thrown knuckle ball. I've seen meteors break up but not exhibit this behavior.

The other one I actually heard as it streaked across the sky. For decades it has been said that you can't hear meteors and there's an obvious problem to saying you can. Meteors tend to flare around 60 miles up. So while you see them instantly (with light traveling 186,000 miles in a second) sound travels, in dry air, around 750 MPH. So the sound should come around 5 minutes after seeing the streak.

So here's the new thinking: Meteors apparently give off VLF sound waves, below 30 kHz. But there's still one problem, the waves, which also travel at the speed of light, need something to transduce. And apparently it can be the metal of a tent pole, or some fine tree needles, or even one's metal glasses. So while the sound appeared to come from the sky, but was most likely down to earth right near me. As often described it did sound like bacon sizzling. Oh yeah, bacon!