Reply to "Shipping in cold? Worry/No worry?"

quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
Yep was moving some wine into my car this morning and it was -17F but normally wine doesn't freeze unless it's below...say 20F. I picked this up on some website via google. I suppose it's just like a pop can you throw into the freezer to cool off and you forget about it.

Is this the site you were referring to khmark7?

Certainly, the true freezing mark will have some connection to just how high the % alcohol is in the wine. And don't forget, that wine will begin expanding as it enters that jelly-like slushy stage. Not just when it's finally frozen. To me, this logically begins the entrance to the danger zone.

I'm particularly interested in this issue, as I need to relocate several bottles and will likely have to endure two 'overnights' in a moving truck. I'm thinking more than twice about doing this only when northern temps improve a bit (yiggidy yiggidy).

Yes, they'd be in an enclosed truck and packed in styrofoam. However, I'm not willing to push the limit too closely at all. It's just not worth the risk. If I could be certain of temps being 25 deg+ F for those nights, I'm thinking inside temps + styrofoam make it pretty safe.