Reply to "September 2019 - What Are You Drinking?"

Last night at the refreshed and modernized La Tour d'Argent in Paris, with Racer117 and Julie D, Lady S and I had 3 interesting and delicious bottles.

- NV Maillard Champagne Grand Cru Rosé -- in a word, excellent!

- 1990 Joseph Drouhin Beaune Premier Cru Clos des Mouches -- in spectacular condition, this elegant beauty was loaded with black tea, orange peel, bay leaf floating over a bed of macerated berries with a bit of black truffle and mineral, very good acidity, and continued to evolve slowly over 4 hours; I regretted having to take the final sip.

- 2001 Domaine Georges Roumier Morey Saint-Denis Premier Cru Clos de La Bussiere -- despite a slightly moldy label, the cork was in very good shape and the contents even better; while having similarities to the previous wine, this showed sweeter and richer cherry fruit rather than berry, with hints of basil, some bacon, faint woodsmoke, and a luxurious slowly-fading finish; a wonderful contrast to the Mouches, exhibiting a familial resemblance but with a different personality.  What a treat! 

The wines accompanied an outstanding duck-oriented tasting menu, and I don't think we could have chosen better, thanks to our charming and very capable sommelier Rémy.

Later, a good pour of Adrien Camut Calvados Pays d'Auge 12-Year Old ended one of the best food and wine nights of my life. Yeehaw!!    

And for you, double d, les photos:

IMG_8722

Attachments

Images (1)
Last edited by seaquam