Reply to "Selections for Wedding Reception?"

The wines that I find go best with Chinese food, especially Sechzwan and Hunan but also Mandarin and Cantonese, are spicy whites with just a touch of sweetness.

My favorites in this category are from Navarro Vineyards in the Anderson Valley region of Mendocino County. I buy a couple of cases every year, in part because my wife demands these wines with Chinese, Thai, and even Mexican food. IMHO, their wines are exceptionally good for the price.

Consider these: 2006 Navarro Gewurztraminer and their 2006 Pinot Gris. The Gewurtz is $19 per bottle, the Pinot Gris a buck less, but there's a 10% discount on a case and 15% discount if you order 3 cases or more. Of course, you have to pay shipping and tax (in California), and you need to be sure they can ship to your state.

As for the Champagne, my only suggestion is that you not spend a lot of money on it -- most people won't know the difference and won't care. You can fine Chandon Blanc de Noir, a California sparkler by a French company, for about $14, or Mumm Cordon Rouge from France for about $24.

Lastly, how many people are you planning on having? I find that many people buy way too much wine for weddings. Half a bottle per person total is usually way more than enough. For that reason, either plan on keeping some, or giving unopened bottles to guests to take home. With my daughter's wedding, I had an agreement with the store from which I bought the wine and booze for the bar to return any unopened leftovers.