Skip to main content

Reply to "Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic"

bman posted:

So Clinton was worse than Trump in terms of volume and as bad in terms of the crimes he pardoned and commuted.  Fair enough.  I'll do some googling next time!

That said, I'm not sure Clinton's apparent abuse of the power makes OK what Trump is doing.  And if he pardons anyone who ends up in jail because they refused to provide evidence against him or lied to protect him, then in many ways that is worse than what Clinton did, in that it further undermines the rule of law and institutions key to the healthy functioning of a democracy.

Frankly, neither one should be proud of their use of the presidential pardon IMO, just was answering your questions about the behaviour of other presidents.  I don't think that Clinton's behaviour either excuses or justifies Trump's.  Clinton really should be no one's north star when it comes to issues of morality or ethics, I think that much is clear.

I agree with Irwin that the power should be sparingly used and believe further that it should be used only to correct examples of injustice, not as a reward for political support or financial contributions.