Reply to "Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic"

flwino posted:

Guess we need to go to the Old English Dictionary [what ever the correct name is].  Should be able to find another adjective.

It's the Oxford English Dictionary, flwino.  And forget adjectives, there are plenty of nouns.  I ran across these Old English insults recently.  Although I am really trying to decrease the mental bandwidth I devote to the squatter in the White House, I found these to be particularly accurate and entertaining!

ABYDOCOMIST

Abydos was a city in Ancient Egypt whose inhabitants, according to one 19th century dictionary, “were famous for inventing slanders and boasting of them.” Whether that’s true or not, the name Abydos is the origin of abydocomist—a liar who brags about their lies. 

BEDSWERVER

An adulterer. Another of Shakespeare’s inventions that became popular in Victorian slang.

CUMBERWORLD

Also called a cumberground—someone who is so useless, they just serve to take up space.

FOPDOODLE

An insignificant or foolish man.

GILLIE-WET-FOOT

An old Scots word for a swindling businessman, or someone who gets into debt and then flees.

KLAZOMANIAC

Someone who only seems able to speak by shouting. 

QUISBY

In Victorian English, doing quisby meant shirking from work or lazing around. A quisby was someone who did just that.

RAKEFIRE

A visitor who outstays his or her welcome. Originally, someone who stays so late the dying coals in the fireplace would need to be raked over just to keep it burning. 

SCOBBERLOTCHER

Probably derived from scopperloit, an old English dialect word for a vacation or a break from work, a scobberlotcher is someone who never works hard. 

SKELPIE-LIMMER

A badly-behaved child. Coined by the Scottish poet Robert Burns from the old Scots word skelpie, meaning “misbehaving” or “deserving punishment.” 

SNOUTBAND

Someone who constantly interrupts a conversation, typically only to contradict or correct someone else.

TALLOWCATCH

Another of Shakespeare’s inventions directed at the gross, womanizing knight Falstaff in Henry IV, Part 1. It’s probably derived from “tallow ketch,” literally “a barrel of fat.

WANDOUGHT

A weak and ineffectual man. (Wandoughty is an old word for impotence. Say no more.) 

Amazing how the Old English seemed to have anticipated our dear leader.  Credits to Mental Floss for the material!

PH