Reply to "Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic"

shavez posted:
The Old Man posted:
shavez posted:

From what I can see after a quick Google search, there are roughly 120 guns per 100 people in the US, compared to roughly 7 per 100 people in Israel and 28 per 100 in Switzerland.

Sure, culture may be an issue, and so is mental illness (in multiple cases, but not all). The disgusting political rhetoric that is now commonplace in the US plays a big role too.

But availability of and access to guns is THE biggest differentiator here, if we're comparing to other nations. 

It's absolutely stunning to me that so many people, supposedly intelligent and competent, are so unable to implement any change that prevent these deaths of innocent US (and other) citizens. Or unwilling.

Well obviously countries with stricter gun control than the US, in other words every country, are going to have less guns in the public's hands. I'm making the case for gun control, Irwin was making it about our culture. To which I call BS.

Irwin's post suggested that gun availability in Switzerland and Israel was somehow comparable to the US. Which is wrong. Anyone suggesting that the availability of and access to guns in the US is not at the very core of the issue is...well...missing the point, to put it mildly.

Exactly. And the difference is the gun laws of those countries. Lot easier starting there than trying to change America's culture.

Can't believe the speech they gave the hater in chief to read about how hate is the problem. No sense of irony.