Reply to "Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic"

winetarelli posted:
g-man posted:
winetarelli posted:
g-man posted:
winetarelli posted:

But, of course, it is easy enough not to show children books with gross representations of Asians. I’m not certain anything he did in that regard is in the canon.)  

what would you have had him do in regards to the caricature?  Simply color them yellow?

Not certain I understand this. I had forgotten that he had a period of real racial resentment. Obviously those things should not be shown to children. 

I am simply saying that willful ignorance doesnt born understanding.  I'd rather a teacher address it straight on.  You can't educate if you ignore.

Hmm. Ok, maybe then the distinction I would make is age. I think the scope of how literature is viewed by those in the process of learning to read is probably different from at age 8 or 9. I’m not saying compexity of people or the existence of racism or our country’s past bad acts should not be taught or discussed. 

my greatest fear is having my young ones being approached on the subject from a stranger and not knowing how to respond or having an understanding when i'm not around to talk to them about it.