Reply to "Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic"

thistlintom posted:
winetarelli posted:
thistlintom posted:

I really don't understand the pro-choice crowd.  They have passed or tried to pass initiatives that would allow for abortions up to the time of birth in various states.  They also voted down in Congress a bill that would prevent letting babies live if born alive after an abortion procedure.   A majority of people are supportive of abortions through the first trimester but it changes to a strong majority who disapprove of abortion as the pregnancy moves towards the third trimester.  It's almost like they are asking for Roe-Wade to be overturned, when there seems to be a general acceptance of the current status of abortions.

A lot of this is either a gross misrepresentation or else true but in very limited context. For example, laws allowing for third trimester abortions where the mother’s life or health are put in danger, or laws allowing it when the fetus has, for example, spina bifita, are different from laws allowing it at whim three weeks before the due date. Over 99% of abortions after 22 weeks are for some sort of medical issue. 

It is my understanding that some the new proposals by the states are much less restrictive than current laws on third trimester abortions.

Well, I would have to look in to those, but I would caution against believing the framing or narratives surrounding this on Fox or other Conservative media. Please remember that no woman who is not a masochist would ever *choose* to have a third trimester abortion.  (Not that anyone chooses to have an unplanned pregnancy.)