Reply to "Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic"

g-man posted:
thistlintom posted:
mimik posted:
arsenal4ever posted:

I'm just tired of politicians and celebrities shooting their mouth off and then apologizing in a "sincere manner." Anti-Semitism and racism go hand-in-hand. Apologizing does nothing. 

So once you’ve said something racist, in your mind they are racist for ever ?

An interesting question, in a sense like can a person evolve or are they static in their beliefs?  Social surroundings in early life certainly have an impact on one's cultural beliefs, which can be positive or negative.  I believe that one can grow and change one's views based upon continuing education and experience.  That someone once held racist views, does not necessarily mean that they will always have racist views or be a racist.

I also believe that we as a society, having been influenced by identity politics, tend to oversimplify events and see things in black and white, when there are shades of gray.  Too many issues or events are viewed from a prism of being racist or xenophobic without sufficient evidence.  It is much easier to claim racism than to try to understand the issue more and to discuss an issue with someone who has a different point of view. 

contrary to popular belief, humans as a whole are born with implied bias.  It's what keeps you from walking into a lions den thinking they won't eat you.  Society then will subtly (forcibly) reinforce those implied biases throughout life.  Right or wrong, it's simply human nature to group, sort, organize, categorize things in a particular way and our standard schooling reinforces that.

I, do feel that a certain pro israel contingent is being entirely disingenuous in calling everybody else in the world "anti semitic" / racist exactly to your last point thislintom.  There is an irony in a group of people calling everyone else "anti semites" because it already implies that they feel their own race is superior and that everyone else is just hating on them. 

People may not change being racist, but experience, knowledge and communication can/should lead to better empathy. 

On another level, this forced Political correctness is certainly going overboard.  Forcing people without teaching someone why they should is just a recipe for disaster. 

Don't want to get in a big debate about Israel and its backers - and many are unable to accept legitimate criticism of its government and policies - but unfortunately,  the root of much of the historical criticism of Israel is based on anti-semitism which provides a historical basis for its supporters to believe that all criticism is founded on anti-semitism - it provides a sort of "cover" if you will.