Reply to "Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic"

mimik posted:
arsenal4ever posted:

I'm just tired of politicians and celebrities shooting their mouth off and then apologizing in a "sincere manner." Anti-Semitism and racism go hand-in-hand. Apologizing does nothing. 

So once you’ve said something racist, in your mind they are racist for ever ?

An interesting question, in a sense like can a person evolve or are they static in their beliefs?  Social surroundings in early life certainly have an impact on one's cultural beliefs, which can be positive or negative.  I believe that one can grow and change one's views based upon continuing education and experience.  That someone once held racist views, does not necessarily mean that they will always have racist views or be a racist.

I also believe that we as a society, having been influenced by identity politics, tend to oversimplify events and see things in black and white, when there are shades of gray.  Too many issues or events are viewed from a prism of being racist or xenophobic without sufficient evidence.  It is much easier to claim racism than to try to understand the issue more and to discuss an issue with someone who has a different point of view.