Reply to "Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic"

purplehaze posted:
wineart 2 posted:

Just last week a wine fetcher hands me the wine list at a restaurant in Chicago and said, “ if you need any help with the wine list let me know.”  The freaking presumptive attitude just sets me off. I replied, “ is someone going to ask me if I need help with the dining menu as well?”  He looked puzzled.🙃

I hear you... but.  Consider that you are likely more wine savvy than 99.7% of the patrons at any venue that you visit  The offer of assistance, especially for a novice, might be appreciated.  I think the phrasing the Somm used could use some polish.   Something to the tune of, "If you have any questions, or if I can be of any service it would be my pleasure."  I've had reasonably good experiences with Somms of late.  Now, that "wine-fetcher," at Charlie Palmer came reasonably close to an ass kicking in November, but he came around with a little massaging.  

PH

A “ if you have any questions please let me know” is very different. A fair question with the dining menu as well. 

To makes matters worse, they didn’t have the Corton Charlemagne OR the Chablis I ordered. Grrr. The wine fetcher suggested a couple of Meursault wines. While I openly acknowledge Meursault has finally started toning down their oak and butter style of wine, I replied if that was the style I was looking for, I think Cali does it better. 🙃

I ended up finding a nice Beaujolais Blanc and another Chardonnay from Friuli Venezia Giulia that worked well.