Reply to "Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic"

Rothko posted:
irwin posted:

Changing topics for a second..... The internet has this story about Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island.  Apparently, she was ill, is 79, has no assets, lots of debt, including debt to the IRS, and she has established a "go fund me" page to try to get back on her feet, monetarily speaking.

I don't understand why she can't just get a loan from Thurston Howell, III.

I saw that too.  She apparently had some bad medical issues and other expenses that ate up most of her money.  When you are 79, it's kind of difficult to make more, unless you are Stan Lee.

I hope she will be OK.  Mary Ann was the quintessential cute "girl next door" on GI.

I'm not sure what kind of medical insurance is available to actors. I would assume there is something associated with SAG?

I read a biography of Terry-Thomas, who died of Parkinson's disease in 1990. When first diagnosed in 1971, he had a villa in Spain and a personal net worth of about $6 million. A lot of money in those days. But long before the time he died, his net worth plunged to zero due to medical bills. From Wikipedia: "...shortly before his death, he was living in poverty, existing on charity from the Actors' Benevolent Fund. A charity gala was held in his honour, which raised sufficient funds for him to live his remaining time in a nursing home."

Really sad; he was one of my favorite actors.