Skip to main content

Reply to "Save or drink now?"

quote:
Originally posted by vinorave:

Just one question, why is decanting not neccessary? I thought old wine should be decanted?

Thanks again!

Perhaps I spoke to soon. You can certainly decant, but it's mainly for the risk of sediment, and perhaps for a bit of presentation. If you do decant, plan to drink it soon. Here's a video about how to remove sediment.. With older wines, decant or no decant, you're in danger of losing much of the delicate aromas, so drink up. A well aged wine should need no additional "help."

Think of decanting as a way to mellow out young wines. It's not uncommon to let a 2001 Brunello di Montalcino (considered a very young Italian wine) to sit in a decanter for 12 hours, or more, prior to consuming. These wines usually have very harsh, strong tannins, that get markedly tamer with time in a decanter. I've put some of the young Aussie Shiraz (that are built for ageing), in a decanter for a full day, and have been much happier with the results. In this case, it's not so much the tannins, but the wine seems to show more complexity and depth. Decanting a young wine is not a substitute for ageing, but lets one sample a bit of what is in store down the road.