Reply to "Santa Cruz Mtn Wineries"

quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
Ridge and Rhys are 2 miles apart. There's no direct road. Allow an hour to get between them, and Ridge is only open on the weekends. That's kind of the punch line, Rhys is not close to anything. Fogarty is probably the closest at about 25 minutes.

Mt Eden and Varner are appointment only. Varner is getting harder to get an appointment with and they are pretty much week day only. Varner is not really close to Ridge, allow another hour to get there. I don't like Testarossa, it's not my style of tasting room, more Napa than SCM.

In the village of Saratoga there is a cluster of tasting rooms including Big Basin. All are along Hwy 9 which is the road you'll take down from Rhys. There are lots of dinning options in both Saratoga and Los Gatos. What are you looking for?

I agree with Paul that Testarossa is definitely more Napa than SCM. I just figured he's coming from NYC and might enjoy a big, showy place with good wines. If he's looking for a SCM experience only its not the place. However, if he wants an experience more akin to a big time Napa tasting room then have it.