Skip to main content

Reply to "San Francisco Dining Impressions"

I went to Sociale for dinner for the fourth or so time last night. Since the place opened last year, it has really improved. I recommend it as a moderately high end neighborhood restaurant. The only real problem with the place is that it is so popular that unless you have reservations you can't just drop in and get a table unless it is early in the evening.

Sociale is located on Sacramento in the middle of Presidio Heights. It is situated in the middle of a courtyard and therefore there is little to no traffic/city noise. It reminds me as more of a Berkeley restaurant than San Francisco. Parking is street only and is not that difficult on a relative basis.

Service is friendly and if anything over attentive. The wine list includes approximately 75 bottle with reasonable markups. The list is weighted toward unusual California bottlings and Italian selections.

Overall cost of the restaurant is pretty good. For two with tap water, two courses, espresso and a $33 half bottle of Barolo the cost was $130. Starters included quite authentic flash fried baby artichokes for $7.95 and a lobster canneloni in yellow tomato sauce for $10. Recommended main courses include lamb chops (two double chops appropriately served blood rare) with spring onion risotto ($20) and classic chicken under brick ($15). Roasted Halibut in red wine vinegar sauce ($19) shows the kitchen's skill with a preparation that can easily be off.

Overall, this wine continues to show improvement and can now be recommended without reservation.