Reply to "RIP..."

one wonders if this political thread will bite the dust.
Castro was quite evil in many ways. Jailing political dissenters. Keeping his countrymen in primitive poverty. Plus, the various things mentioned previously by Jorgerunfast. Like other dictators, he ruled with an iron fist, not permitting anything remotely considered opposition. Today, Cuba continues to pay the price. They have so little in the way of capital assets, they have little to trade. Opening up Cuba to the west might be a good thing ultimately, but for now, other than beaches, they have little to export. You can't build an economy around cigars, particularly when the farmers who harvest tobacco have no technology. They export baseball players..that's about it.
When I was in Cuba (15 years ago or so) I was struck by the fact that they don't have a class structure, because everyone is dirt poor. They lack money for spices, soap, and basic human necessities. We brought toothpaste, aspirin and other OTC drugs, soaps, and so forth to give away at a shelter. The people I met were intelligent and educated people, literate and very kind. Terrible that they have been held back in the horrible poverty that Castro kept them in, so that he could blame the US for everything, rather than take blame himself.
Hard to be sad when an evil person dies.