Reply to "Riedel Vinum vs. Vinum Extreme"

quote:
Originally posted by eswrite:
Just got the Vinum Chardonnay glasses for my B-day and will (probably, fingers crossed) be getting the Cabernet/Merlot/Bordeaux glasses for Christmas. Being new to this, I am wondering whether the shape/size of the glass truly makes that much of a difference. IOW, is drinking red in a Chardonay glass that much of a faux pas?

My wife and I were lucky enought to attend a seminar given by George Ridel himself a couple of years ago. It cost $75 per person to attend, but then each guest got a boxed "tasting kit" made up of one each of the Sommeliers series Bordeaux Grand Cru,Burgnady Grand Cru and Montrachet glasses. Each of these glasses alone was almost worth the cost of the seminar.

One of the test he did was to serve the wines in the proper glasses and them to serve them is improper glasses, ie the reds in the white Burgandy glass. It was amazing how much better the wines tasted in the right glass. Even a good Bordeaux tasted many times better in the Bordeaux glass then it did in the Burgandy glass.

Mr. Riedel however is somethng of a glass Nazi. During the tasting one of the guest picked up his Bordeaux glass Brandy sniffter style (holding the bowl not the stem) and Mr. Riedel called him out right in front of the whole group. He says that is why the stems are so long and elegant to keep body heat away from the wines. I wonder just what he thinks about the stemless series they now make. This was the invention of his son.