Skip to main content

Reply to "Red Wine Storage"

quote:
Originally posted by Jay El:1)Why would they use glass if they knew the UV would affect the wine i na negative way. I have read things like asthetics, easier to see what you'll be getting and what not but still befuddles me. I think the simple answer is $$$ -- it costs the manufacturer less to use cheaper glass, and UV-resistant glass is more expensive than plain glass. I think it also reflects the intended use of the unit you bought -- most collectors will use a 30-bottle unit just for short-term storage in their home. I suspect that most winos, the sort who are apt to collect a lot of wine and age it for extended periods, usually end up buying a larger unit or use an off-site storage facility. You may want to do the same if the bug bites you as hard as it has most of the folks on these forums.

2)My humidity gauge says 70%-80%, rather high no? How would I lower this? Yes, that's high, but unless it causes problems with the labels, I wouldn't sweat it, so to speak. Cool Anyway, I'm not sure how to lower the humidity in a unit like yours -- perhaps some humidity-absorbing material would help if it does become a problem. Again, it's mostly a problem with longterm storage.

3)I noticed some condensation on the back of the fridge and eventually went to go wipe if off and noticed there was a thin layer of frost i nthe back. bad? Should I be worried? How would I combat against this? Lower the temp on the fridge? Instruction manual says 2 inches away from the wall, do I need to make it further/closer to the wall? Is this a result of the humidity too high?I suspect it's a combination of things. You need to have the unit away from the wall to allow for proper air circulation so the cooling system can work -- it has to be able to dissipate the heat it removes from the inside of the unit. However, that probably wouldn't affect the humidity inside the unit. You might try increasing the temperature a degree or two. But if it's not affecting the wine, say freezing the wine in the part of the bottles nearest the back wall of the refrigerator, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It may come and go as the refrigeration unit cycles on and off.

and yes RD, your comments help give some insight into the finer points to wine learning! =) Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks!
~JL