Skip to main content

Reply to "Recommendations for Television Shows"

I am torn on wheel of time having grown up a better part of my middle/high school and college years reading the epic story.

There are certainly moments that story feels like it's weaved together better, but the first episode is terrible.  It pays homage to every non sensical teenage drama angst required of any show that belongs on CW and none of the maturity in topics that robert jordan tried conveying

The backstories and alot of the characteristics of alot of the main characters have been shifted around with some characters having unnecessary storylines added and thrown away on a whim.

One of the main things missed with the start of the series is the world building.  Yes, the series is beautifully shot, unfortunately it doesnt really show case the grandness of things that Robert Jordan tried to portray.  One is that 2 rivers is suppose to be a town t hat is able to field 3000 archers later on in the story, yet the series makes 2 rivers look like a small tribe or village at best.  This wasn't meant to be the shire.

Few things that the series did definitely get right, the pace was definitely great.  The books spent alot of time world building visuals and feel.  Something that can be achieved much more quickly with visuals, and there are flashes of moments where the series nails it.  Movements of shadows, the motions behind weaving, all work well.

This series is exciting to watch if one goes in without the background of reading the books, it's a bit of a let down if you're looking for something that follows the storylines due to the fact one may have spent alot of time reading hte books and reflecting on how the characters developed through the 2 decades the books took to finish and for me to read.