Skip to main content

Reply to "Recommendations for Television Shows"

Finished the season six of Bosch and am rewatching the series from the beginning. I thought this was a good season even though I couldn't stand the build-up with the wacko group. Watching actors give it their all while spouting nonsense got very tedious after a number of episodes. It was good to see Richard Brooks, from the original Law and Order, after all these years.

What makes Bosch so interesting is that it exists in a parallel universe. The relationships on the TV show often do not reflect what occurs in the books. And yet both universes are excellent. Seeing him and J. Edgar, have a better relationship on the show than the books, makes for a more engaging show. It's been a joy to watch Madison Lintz grow up (into almost a fashion model) and a good actress whose scenes with Welliver are always interesting. Of course Titus Welliver is Bosch and all the other characters; Crate and Barrel, LT, the always fantastic Lance Reddick as Chief Irving, Mank and Honey/Money Chandler who work and react together in such a natural way.

I also want to mention Ernest Dickerson who started out as a cinematographer on the mostly forgotten, and very good, movie Brother From Another Planet and went on to be an excellent TV show director with credits such as this program and The Wire.

However, it is a little depressing watching a show that was so recently filmed in a world that may not exist again for some time. Bosch is one of those LA TV shows, and also like the books, that revels in its "LAness." Bosch is a guy who hangs in spots like Musso & Franks Grill, Du-Pars and Dan Tanas. The show used the Bradbury Building, Angels Flight, the Capitol Records tower and many other LA landmarks and locations to get the feel of LA. And now I can't even make one of my runs up there to go to Canter for a corned beef sandwich roam the Art District. 

Here's a odd note: Just having finished six and starting season one there's an interesting fashion statement that appears to run through the entire show--the men's neckties all have a large, loose knot. Not sure what it means, but it's something I recently noted.

Last edited by The Old Man