Reply to "please ignore this post"

Great cork story but perhaps not what you might expect.

Years ago growing up on LI we used to frequent a steakhouse in Manhattan called 'The Cattleman'. Sadly the restaurant has long since closed but this story is a legend in our family:

While enjoying a great tableside-prepared Ceasar salad, my brother (~7 or 8 at the time) got a bit bored as he was not into "funky" tasting salads. Per usual, my father had ordered a bottle of wine. The waiter did the usual -- uncork bottle, place cork on table, pour taste of wine and when approved, fill the other glasses.

Not thinking anything of it, we all just left the cork on the table. In order to assuage his boredom, my young brother had taken to playing with the cork while we ate. For some unknown reason, he decided to see if it would fit in his bottle of Diet Coke (you know, the glass bottles restaurants sometimes serve).

Well, he managed to wedge the cork in neck of the Diet Coke bottle. Pleased with his handi-work, he decided to shake up the bottle of Diet Coke to further amuse himself. [Pause: Anybody see what's coming here?]

It did not take long, and we all pretty much realized what was happening at the same time: Cork + Carbonation + a small space = projectile cork!

The noise was pretty loud and at first, we all thought it was quite funny. However, we all know what happens when you open a bottle of bubbly too quickly. Yep, Diet Coke everywhere. A nice little fountain 8-10' in the air.

We're all sitting there, wearing a light mist of Diet Coke and not thinking it's so funny anymore when we realize -- IT'S MUCH WORSE. We look over at the table next to us and a cadre of international businessmen all dressed in suits are wiping themselves off! Apparently 4 or 5 of them had caught the Diet Coke shower too. Mad

I don't remeber much after that, but recall being quite embarassed and things seemed quite tense after that. I think my father sent over dessert or a bottle of wine to make amends but I'm sure they were still not pleased.

Well, long story but I thought someone might find it funny. After all, you all need something to do while you are ignoring this thread...

DdB
Last edited {1}