Skip to main content

Reply to "Please help recommend me some wines"

quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
knuss, first of all, welcome. You might want to give Sauvignon Blanc a try. There are many different styles, it is produced in many wine regions, and with a few exceptions is usually a very good value. Some of my friends have mistaken the acidity and citrus profiles on some versions for sweetness, but most versions of SB are really dry. For starters, I would consider Chateau Ste. Michelle from Columbia Valley, WA. It's readily availble for about 10 bucks and is usually very consistent between vintages. Sharper, more "tangy" versions can be found from New Zealand. Look for 2010 Brancott or Nobilo, at about the same price point. Good luck!

I've had a few Sauvignon Blancs, but never been too impressed. This very well may be that I've just never had a good one. I'm okay with citrus, it's usually fruits such as apple, pear, etc that I find to be obnoxiously sweet.

I've had Cheau Ste. Michelle more than a few times. I'm ashamed to say the first time I had it was at Cheesecake factory and I paid $26 for the bottle! I can get it around here for about $8 and it's a good wine. I think it fits most of my criteria, but there's nothing really unique about it to me. It's pretty ordinary.

The Nobilo and Brnacott sound really good. I haven't had a new zealand wine since I lived in europe. I'll give them a try... thanks!